Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Blog #2

For the first time in awhile, I took time out of my day, sat down and embraced the environment in which I get to call home every single day. On a brisk fall afternoon, I headed over to the heart of central park and took an unconventional approach to this sound walk assignment. I desired not to make the sound formulated by the hustle and bustle of New York but, to find a unique medium in which, nature teamed with background voices and continuous vibrations from animals, vendors and exquisite, sometimes under-appreciated jazz steering in the surroundings. At first, once I took a couple of minutes to get settled and let my domain take control of my energy; the initial sound signals that stood out to me was the musician playing away on his saxophone, a wide variety of tunes including one I recognized which was the ‘careless whisper’. In addition, the sound-marks that added energy to the environment were the diverse passer-by’s, which illustrated New York in an extremeley ‘New York’ sort of fashion. Whether these groups and individuals were on their phones heading back to work or family’s navigating their way through the sprawling fields with New York’s skyline in the backdrop, the sound marks unified every aspect of sound. I additionally heard the barking of dogs collaborating with the ringing’s of bikes in which, also added an exterior texture to this venture (keynotes). In total, this assignment can directly translate into a hobby and/or passion due to it’s relentless pursuit of calming and meditation: listening without concrete purpose perpetuates organic and natural human intellect, something today’s society lacks.

1 comment:

  1. Nice Blog, Ben. I especially like the line about "underappreciated jazz". It's so true. I also LOVED that you recognized Careless Whisper - which has one of my favorite lines - "Guilty feet have got no rhythm". Ah George Michael. You gotta miss him.

    ReplyDelete

blog 4

During the piece “Say Something to Bunny” by Alison Kobayashi, several key elements on film and art are represented and displayed, in which ...